Monday, August 27, 2007

Reverse Teaching

As I reflected on the chaos of last week, God brought this thought to my mind this morning. "Your children are sinful creatures, as are you. However, they aren't Christians yet."

I was immediately humbled and ashamed of my behavior last week. Where are they going to learn about God, His love, mercy, wisdom, and grace if not at home? Yes, I need to teach them to pick up their rooms. It is necessary to teach them about strangers, shoe-tying, and table etiquette. But, it is more necessary that they learn about God. Within the framework of God's commands, everything else should fall into place.

I am learning that I need to deal with my children graciously, gracefully and mercifully while accepting who they are, not what I want them to become or who I think they are. God is working in me as He works in my children.

And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. Philippians 1:6, ESV

No comments: