Wednesday, October 08, 2008

Product Review: Ore-Ida Steam n' Mash Potatoes

From time to time, I'm asked to review a product. What better place to post my thoughts and ideas about the product?

I recently was given an opportunity to review Ore-Ida Steam 'n Mash Potatoes. They are available in four flavors: Russet, Sweet, Garlic-Seasoned, and Three Cheese. These potatoes are different than the flakes of old. These are honest-to-goodness potatoes: washed, peeled, and cubed. To prepare them, one microwaves it in the bag; lets it rest for two minutes; pours the contents into a bowl; mashes; adds butter, milk, sour cream or whatever else one likes in mashed potatoes and voila! mashed potatoes without so much work involved.

I bought the Garlic-Seasoned Steam 'n Mash potatoes last week looking for the perfect opportunity to use them. I was making Chicken Marsala tonight, sauce courtesy of my favorite Joe, and thought some garlic mashed potatoes would be a wonderful addition.

The cooking process went well, nothing blew up in my microwave or smelled like burning plastic (I actually used the alternate directions and microwaved them in a ceramic casserole dish). I let them rest and then proceeded to mash them, quite easily with a hand masher. I added the 1/3 c of milk (rice milk), which the recipe recommended. It looked so smooth and lovely with the flecks of green in it.

I served it to my family. My boys enjoyed it; I thought it was extremely salty, as did my Dearest. He did add that it wasn't so bad when he mixed it with his extra Marsala sauce. He also commented that it must be difficult to produce a product that must have a relatively long shelf life that still tastes good. We generally eat quite a lot of fresh produce or freshly prepared foods, very few processed foods.

So, for about $3 a pop it's worth a try, but I don't think it's worth the shortcut.

No comments: