Thursday, November 13, 2008

Cinnamon!

Last night, I whipped up a batch of Applesauce Dumplings (from Zonya Foco) while we were finishing dinner. (Did I mention that it's a quick recipe?) The boys didn't know what I was making, but as it simmered along on the stove, my youngest exclaimed, "Mom! I think I smell something that tastes like cinnamon!"


Here's the recipe:

Combine the following ingredients in a non-stick medium-sized pan and heat to med-high heat:
3 cups unsweetened applesauce
1/2 cup water
1 tsp. cinnamon

Meanwhile, combine in a medium bowl and stir until just moistened:
1 cup baking mix
1/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup milk

Drop dumpling batter onto boiling applesauce mixture (six mounds). Cover and let simmer for 12 minutes. No peeking!! Remove from heat and let cool (optional, but highly recommended as a burnt tongue hurts... yes, I know from experience). Serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired.

See more of Zonya's recipes here.